It’s a fun, happy pattern, and I love that it uses layer cakes effectively. I think I only had 6 or 8 leftover pieces from two layers cakes. It took me some time to find the perfect layer cakes for this. While in Houston, I found two Moda layer cakes by Chloe’s Closet – 30′s Playtime.
Oh, how pretty! At first I questioned my use of white for the blossoms. The main fabrics are actually a bit off-white. But I’m glad I did. It really makes the flowers pop off the quilt! I felt the blossoms looked a little “flat” on the pattern picture, and I decided to add an extra layer of batting to each blossom so they’d puff up a bit after quilting. So, I basted a layer of batting to the back of each and every flower.
Once the top was completely together, I also added the batting to the outside edge half- and quarter-flowers. The original pattern only had flower centers in the whole flowers – not in the partial flowers around the edge. It only looked half-finished to me, so I added flower centers in all the flowers.
There was a LOT of waste when the flowers and triangles were trimmed, so I’ve decided to use that waste as applique in the borders. I’m cutting circles and feathers with my GO.
No, I’m not using pink. I’ll buy a color that matches the quilt as soon as I figure out what color I want to use. I haven’t decided whether to put the applique and ric-rac around the entire quilt or just in a couple of opposite corners. I’ll keep playing with it and see what I come up with. I’m very excited to quilt this one – it’s going to be a LOT of fun!