Making progress on the memorial quilts….

Room pan

Wow. What a freakin’ mess. Took a B-12 vitamin and became Wonder Woman – fabric has been flying around this room! I’ve spent the last 4 hours ironing interfacing on to all the knit and silky fabrics from mom’s tops for the six memorial quilts I’m making. That woman wore a LOT of knit! See that pile in the right corner? That’s leftover shirts in the event I run out of squares from what I’m currently cutting. Although I don’t think that’ll be a problem. Shoot, I’ve got enough fabric just from mom’s jeans to make all six quilts! I’m starting to think mom just didn’t like to do laundry.

Anyways, had a “slap-my-forhead” moment today. I’ve been cutting the shirts into 5.5″ strips, and laying them on the interfacing. I didn’t want to waste a lot of interfacing on areas that couldn’t be cut into squares. This method was incredibly time consuming. About halfway through the shirts I realized, for gawdsake, that I could have been cutting the interfacing to 5.5″ and laying it on the shirts! What. An. Idiot. It is SO much easier to determine where to place the interfacing!! I whipped through those shirts toot-sweet. My Reliable Velocity iron was a workhorse through the entire thing. As long as I kept it filled with water, that thing never stopped steaming, and never once spit water onto the shirts. I love that iron!

This is now my “to be cut into squares pile”:


Not bad. Will probably take me a morning to do. Once I add them to this pile…


…I should have a good assortment to choose from. I’ll get the sashings cut after that, and hope to start on the quilts this weekend!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *