Last night as I was perusing posts on QuilterBlogs, I came across a post that showed a picture of an absolutely beautiful quilt. It was the cover of a book, but the picture was cropped in a way that excluded the name and author of the book. I did quite a bit of digging, but couldn’t find any further information. So I opened up my trusty EQ7 and re-created it.
This is close to how the original quilt was laid out, except it didn’t have the inner diamond border.
It had a border of half-square triangles instead, but the layout of the HSTs at the corners was the subject of much debate and dissension amongst the male occupants of my house, so I changed the border to diamonds. It was agreed that they were a better fit anyway, since the quilt essentially has a diamond theme going on.
Then we started playing with color options, which is one of my favorite things about EQ. This one with the blue background ended up being one of my favorites.
Other color variations we played with ranged from a very pleasant dark teal with pale teal background, which my son said looked like ice;
to a very patriotic red, white, and blue (LOVE this one!);
to a blinding bright yellow and red, then a boring pink and green, and finally an absolutely horrid chartreuse and olive combination. I’ll spare you the awfulness!
It was a gratifying experience, being able to reconstruct the quilt even though I didn’t have access to a pattern or close-up pictures, and ended up being a nice way to spend the evening – creating quilts without actually sewing!